Welcome to our first recipe in our new series, Cooking with Kids! These are really easy and delicious treats that the kids will love. A big thanks to Ramona Farrelly & Irish Country Living magazine for these images.
Meringue Swirls with Lemon Curd and Cream
2 egg whites
A pinch of salt
150g of caster sugar
Red food colouring
¼ tsp of vanilla extract
Lemon Curd (see below) & Whipped Cream
- Pre heat the oven to 140˚C and line a baking tray with baking paper
- Put the egg whites into a large spotlessly clean mixing bowl with the pinch of salt
- Whisk until soft peaks form then gradually add the caster sugar until stiff peaks form
- Add in the vanilla extract
- Using a large spoon dollop the meringues onto the baking sheet leaving space between them
- Place the food colouring in the bowl and dip a skewer into it
- Swirl the skewer into the meringues to give a ripple effect
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the base of the meringues is hard and then switch of the oven
- Leave to cool in the oven if possible
- Mix some whipped cream with the lemon curd and serve with the meringues
For the lemon curd
1 egg yolk
50g (2oz) butter
90g (3oz) caster sugar
Finely grated zest and juice of 2 lemons
To make the lemon curd:
In a bowl, whisk together the egg & the egg yolk.
Melt the butter in a saucepan over a very low heat.
Add the caster sugar, grated zest, & juice, & then the beaten eggs.
Stir carefully with a wooden spoon, over a very gentle heat until the mixture thickens.
This should take about 7-10 minutes. If the heat is too high, the egg will scramble.
The curd is ready when the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of the wooden spoon & leave a definite mark when you push your finger through it.
Remove from the heat and allow to cool.