Griddled Whole Prawns
This is a really nice simple summery lunch or suppertime dish. Although I have used a griddle pan here, it really is perfect for the BBQ and is best enjoyed al fresco with a chilled glass of white wine. A crisp sauvignon blanc would be good or maybe even a Riesling or gewürztraminer.
16 Prawns in the shell(Plump & fresh Dubin Bay are by far the best for this)
1 red chilli, sliced
1 lemon, zest & juice
1 clove of garlic, chopped
Firstly, assemble the prawns. Cut the prawn tails in half lengthways and place in a shallow dish. Drizzle some oil over them and sprinkle half the garlic, lemon zest & chilli (check your chilli for heat!) over them.
Put a griddle pan on a high heat and place the skewers on it, turning occasionally until the prawns are opaque and pink. Try not to overcook them. Depending on the size of the prawns, it shouldn’t take longer than 5mins. Drizzle the rest of the oil, garlic and lemon over and serve.
Plaice with Coriander, Chilli & Lemon Dressing(Serves 2)
2 fillets of Plaice
Bunch of Coriander
1 red chilli
1 clove of garlic
Butter (not too cold)
Flour (just enough to coat the fish)
- Chop coriander, garlic & chilli
- Juice lemon and put in a bowl with the coriander, chilli and garlic
- Add olive oil, salt and pepper
- Taste for seasoning and leave to infuse while fish is cooking
- Place flour on a plate and season
- Pat fish dry with kitchen roll or a clean tea towel and dip into the flour to coat
- Spread butter on the fish as if you were buttering a piece of bread
- Heat a frying pan on the hob until very hot
- Place the fish, flesh side down on the pan-it should sizzle
- When the fish “domes”, turn it and cook for a couple of minutes on the skin side
- Remove to a warm plate and drizzle with the coriander and chilli dressing
Serve with oven roasted potato wedges and salad or green vegetables such as asparagus or tender stem broccoli
Mediterranean Style Roast Whole Wild Seabream
1 whole Seabream, gutted and cleaned
About 15 Cherry Tomatoes, whole
A tablespoon of Tomato Puree
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
100 mls water
A splash of Red Wine
About 15 black Olives, destoned, I find Kalamata best
1 tsp Soy sauce
1 courgette, sliced
A handful of fresh Basil
A good knob of butter
Salt & Pepper
Preheat the oven to 160˚C.
Place all of the ingredients except the fish, basil and cherry tomatoes in a large oven proof dish.
Place the fish on top and place a few small knobs of butter on top, dotted around. Season well with salt and pepper.
Bake for 25 mins or until the fish is cooked through. Place the tomatoes into the dish about half way through. To serve, lift the fish out carefully and serve by gently pulling the skin back and removing the flesh from the bones. Scoop up the sauce and veg and serve with the basil.