Paillard of Lemon & Rosemary Chicken with Sauteed Mushrooms and Green Beans & Purple Potato Salad
2 Chicken Fillets
1 clove garlic
Spritz Lemon Juice
A couple of sprigs of rosemary
1 shallot, finely diced
6/7 mushrooms, sliced fairly chunky
A splash of white wine
Green Beans & Purple Potatoes (or baby potatoes), cooked & kept warm
A knob of butter
Salt & Pepper
A few basil leaves
French Dressing (see below)
Method:Place the chicken on a board and cover with cling film. Use a rolling pin to bash it until it is only about ½ a cm in thickness. In the meantime, in a pestle and mortar, grind the garlic, rosemary & sea salt together with a little oil to make a paste. Rub half the paste over the chicken. A silicone brush is handy for this. Leave to marinate for at least 30mins.
For the mushrooms, melt a little butter and oil and add the shallots and mushrooms with a pinch of salt and pepper.
When the mushrooms have caramelized and turned golden-brown, add a splash of white wine to deglaze the pan. Simmer until most of the liquid has evaporated and you are left with an intense jus with the mushrooms.
Heat a frying pan until very hot and add a little rapeseed oil. Fry the chicken marinade side down for about 2 mins.
Turn the chicken over and spread the other half of the paste over the cooked sides and leave to cook through.
For the potato & green bean salad, toss with the French dressing (see below) while still warm
To serve, slice the chicken into 3 slices and place on top of the green bean and potato salad and top with the mushrooms, jus and basil.
2 parts Olive Oil to 1 part White Wine Vinegar
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1 clove of garlic, peeled and bashed with the back of a knife
Salt & Pepper
Combine all ingredients in a jar and shake well to combine
(Makes 1 loaf)
2 tsp of bread soda
Pinch of salt
1 large tub of natural yogurt (500 ml)
Preheat oven to 180°C / 350°F / Gas Mark 4.
Grease standard loaf tin
Place the yogurt and sieved bread soda in a mixing bowl. Add one egg.
Using the same yogurt tub measure 2 tubs of porridge oats and add to the bowl. Add your favourite seeds at this point. Stir thoroughly.
Pour the batter into your loaf tin.
Place in the oven and cook for approx. 45 mins – 60 minutes
Ten minutes before the end of cooking time, remove the bread from the tin, turn upside down and cook for remaining 10 mins.
Leave to cool on wire tray wrapped in clean tea towel.
Gluten Free Mini Lemon & Mint Polenta Cakes
(Makes approx. 10 depending on the size of your cake papers)
This recipe can be made as a full cake in a 9” tin. Bake for an hour if doing a whole cake.
230g caster sugar
4 large eggs
200g ground almonds
2 teaspoons baking powder (make sure it is gluten free)
Zest and juice a lemon (saving 3 tablespoons for the icing)
A couple of sprigs of mint, chopped
For the Icing:
3 tablespoons lemon juice
100g icing sugar
- Heat oven to 160C/140C fan/gas 3.
- Line up mini cake papers or mini loaf boxes on a baking tray
- Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time and mix thoroughly.
- Once the mixture is combined, add all the dry ingredients and the mint, zest and juice after you have measured off 3 tablespoons for the glaze.
- Transfer the mixture to the cake papers or mini loaf boxes, spread evenly, then cook for about 30mins (depending on the size of your cake papers) or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- To make the icing, mix the icing sugar with the lemon juice until the lumps have disappeared.
- Drizzle the lemon glaze over the top of the cake and garnish with some mint flowers or leaves.